Boats, boilers, bridges and bosses: 130 years of manufacturing for this emblematic company | The Examiner
Glasgow Engineering has been fortunate to be under the guidance of diligent and visionary leaders since its inception.
Originally known as Tamar Foundry, the company was started by James Scott and John Clark and the business mainly undertook general repairs and built mining equipment in the early days.
In 1895 James Scott left the company to represent WH Knight at the Anchor mine and Edwin Bogle, who had previously worked as an assistant inspector of machinery for the Tasmanian government, took over.
The biggest contract for Bogle and Clark was the construction of the Victoria Bridge over the River South Esk in 1896. The work took two years and cost £10,600. Only cast iron and iron plates were imported. All bridge girders, pylons and castings were manufactured at the company’s factories in William Street.
The 1970s and 1980s saw a period of immense economic growth. The company was busy serving the forestry and ship repair industries and to keep up with demand the machine shop tripled in size and a new fabrication shop was built.
Boilers and boats
Gold and tin mining played an important role and the company manufactured mining dredges for Ringarooma Dredging Co, Whyte River Dredging Co, Lisle Dredging Co and many other boilers and steam engines too numerous to mention. mentioned.
The company also built water turbines and steam engines to power the flour mills of Monds & Affleck, Ritchies Flour Mill, Bowerbank Roller Flour Mill and Harvey’s Roller Mill. Engine and boiler building was an important activity, with many engines and boilers being made for the marine, mining, agricultural and lumber industries.
In 1904 the company changed its name to Glasgow Engineering under the management of Bogles. The brick facade facing William Street is built and the workshop expanded to meet demand.
By the end of 1906, James Scott had again taken over the management. Edwin Bogle had moved to Melbourne to live in Moonee Ponds and John Clark, who had left in 1902, ran a grocery store.
James Scott died in 1928 and management went to Allen Morris who had been with the company since the construction of the Victoria Bridge. During the terrible flood event of 1929, Allen Morris received special thanks from The Examiner for his help in producing the newspaper, even when his own house was completely submerged in flood waters.
Allen Morris retired in 1937 and was replaced by Barton Hutton who had joined the company as an apprentice fitter and turner.
Bart ran the business during the World War II years and they worked 60 hours a week divided into six ten-hour days.
The machine shop was busy building steam winches to facilitate the unloading of war material from America. The fabrication shop along with other workshops in Launceston were busy fabricating sections of Australian Panel Bridge, a design by the Royal Australian Engineers and derived from the English Bailey Bridge.
In 1965 Glasgow Engineering built its first fishing boat, the 52ft akafor Graeme Holloway of Flinders Island.
They then built a second ship, the William Robinson, this time for the Launceston Marine Board. The William Robinson was a 36-foot relief pilot boat named after one of the Sea Council’s Master Wardens. In 1970 Glasgow again won the contract to build another boat for the Launceston Port Authority, this was the 52ft Workboat Carrington.
The Huttons carry on
Bart Hutton died in 1974, aged 71, after serving 58 years in the business and management was taken over by his son Alf. The 1970s and 80s saw a period of immense growth for the Tasmanian economy.
The company was busy serving the forestry and ship repair industries and to meet growing demand the machine shop tripled in size and a new fabrication shop was built; at the time Glasgow had the largest machine shop in Launceston and the largest lathe in Tasmania.
In 1983 the building adjoining the Glasgow Workshops, next to the historic Paterson Barracks, was purchased and new offices and a showroom were constructed.
The showroom featured exhibits of Lister, Gardner and Iveco engines, Lincoln welding products and Onan marine generators and gasoline engines. Alf Hutton retired in 1999 after 52 years with the company.
Management was taken over by his son John, the fourth member of the family to be involved in the business.
A new era begins
Under John’s leadership, the company expanded the sales division expanding the product line on engine and generator sales bringing in well-known brands such as Kubota, Yanmar, Kohler and Lister industrial engines and marine engines Nanni and Doosan.
They branched out further into high-end heating and cooking appliances with brands like Aga, Rayburn and La Cornue and heaters like Cheminées Philippe, Lopi and Morso. There have also been some interesting projects discussed in recent years. These include:
- 2004 – reconstruction of the Alexandra Suspension Bridge over the South Esk River at the first basin
- 2008 – reconstruction of the Adye Douglas cast iron water fountain at the intersection of Brisbane and High Street
- 2011 – repair of the cast iron gates of the municipal park on Tamar Street after a collision with a car
- 2017 – repair of the Duck Reach Power Station fruit bat which had been damaged the previous winter
THE GLASGOW RANKING
James Scott: 1892 to 1895
John Clark: From 1892 to 1902
Edwin Bogle: From 1895 to 1906
James Scott: 1906 to 1928
Allen Morris: 1928 to 1937
Bart Hutton: From 1937 to 1974
Alf Hutton: 1974 to 1999
John Hutton: 1999 to Present