Cleaning mistakes that damage your home
Whenever you clean something in your home, the goal is to leave the area in better condition than the way you found it. Most of the time, these tasks are simple tasks with a very low probability that something will go wrong. Unfortunately, many of the techniques that many of us learned as children can actually do more harm than good. Here are five common cleaning mistakes that damage your home.
Sponges are a great tool for effectively cleaning dishes in the kitchen sink, but they can quickly become a health problem if not treated properly. Sponges effectively absorb objects, including harmful bacteria. If you use a sponge to wipe other surfaces, you may be helping to spread bacteria, which can lead to many types of illnesses.
Exposure to water can wreak havoc on wood, including the flooring that is found in many homes. Moisture causes warping and discoloration of the wood, so it is essential to avoid exposure as much as possible. Instead of using a wet mop, try using a special cleaner designed for hardwood floors.
Mixing cleaning products
Mixing cleaning products together is rarely a good idea, especially when one of the cleaners contains bleach. Many cleaning products contain ammonia which, when combined with bleach, creates chlorine gas. Laundry detergent or small amounts of dish soap are the only cleaning products you should ever consider mixing with bleach.
Scrub stains on furniture
One of the biggest furniture cleaning mistakes many homeowners make on sofas and upholstered sectionals is trying to clean a stain. The rubbing will not only fix the stain deeper into the fabric, but it will also spread the stain around, making it more prominent. Instead, try dabbing the area and only use a stain remover if absolutely necessary.
Dirty dryer lint screen
The last of our cleaning mistakes that damage your home is not cleaning the lint trap. From a practical standpoint, not doing this makes your clothes take longer to try on. From a safety standpoint, leaving lint in the dryer can cause a house fire. Always pull out and clean the lint trap after every load of laundry to help protect your family from damage.